R1 visas are issued to temporary religious workers with non-immigrant intent. The intending worker must be sponsored by a non-profit religious organization that has been present for a minimum of two years within the United States. The petitioning organization and immigrant must demonstrate that the worker will participate in full-time (a minimum of 35 hours) work at the organization per week. The petitioning organization must provide evidence regarding the compensation for the position, which may include: budgets, evidence of previous compensation for a similar position, or verifiable documentation of room and board (if it will be provided).

R-1 visas grant the religious worker permission to work for the religious organization in the US for up to 30 months; with a possible 30 month extension. Should a religious worker seek R-1 status again after previously maintaining R-1 status for 60 months, they must remain outside the US for one full year before seeking R-1 status again. Additionally, it is the burden of the petitioning organization to evidence their tax exempt status under the IRS as a religious non-profit [Section 501(c)(3)]. Spouses and children under 21 of R-1 religious workers are eligible for R-2 classification, but are not authorized to accept employment as R-2 visa holders.

Eligibility Criteria for R-1 Visa:

  • The sponsoring Religious Organization must exist &have a bona fide presence within the US for at least two years prior to petition an alien for R1 status;
  • The sponsoring Religious Organization is tax-exempt under the IRS as described in section 501(c)(3) of the IRS code;
  • The intending religious worker must have been a member of the Religious Organization (including the specific religious denomination or one closely similar in practice and beliefs) for a least two years immediately prior to filing for the R-1 Visa;
  • If applying from outside the US, you must be entering the US for the sole purpose of working and carrying out the duties of the Religious Organization in a religious capacity;
  • R-1 Religious workers who max out the 5 year stay must remain physically outside of the US for 1 full year before seeking R-1 status again.
  • Must be seeking to work in a religious occupation or vocation as defined in 8 CFR § 204.5(m). This includes: Ministers, Rabbis, Priests, Clergy members, or other individuals in a role that directly relates to the dissemination or inculcation of the organizations beliefs or creed that is a recognized occupation within the organization.
  • Other religious workers can include: Vocational religious workers who have taken vows, ceremonies, etc attesting to a particular religious lifestyle that is recognized by the organization such as nuns, monks, and religious brothers & sisters.

::- Please call out office to schedule a consultation with our Immigration Consultant  at Phone: +1 408 422 8585 or Contact Us / email at: rosy@caials.com


Online information

You can check all the details from our website about our services and support


There must be many doubt in your mind about immigration and other services . Please feel free for consultation.

Apply Now

We always take too much time to decide about one simple thing. If you are well informed about your services. please feel free to apply now.. Call Us.